Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Spirit Is the Best Teacher........

Ok so where to begin this week!!!!

For all of you we are a day behind here in the Philippines....that means I still haven't watched General Conference and wont see it until next weekend.

Also this week has been amazing.  My companion, Elder Thompson, is from Utah and leaves in November.  He has been a huge help for me in the language and I have learned so much from him.  The last week we had an appointment to teach a recent convert, if he was home.  As we got to his house we looked for him, his older brother ran down with a Bible, Book Of Mormon and a note pad.  He told us he wanted to be taught and there and then we met, then taught him the restoration.  He is a student studying in being a midwife......don't ask me how or why but he was so interested.  

As we taught him though he had a note pad full of questions with verses in the bible about our church.  As we showed then answered them it was a great lesson and he understood it all and wants to learn more.  We actually after the lesson think he got an anti mormon questions, but not to bash on us but to really find out about the religion.  As we finished his older sister then came up.  She was super smart, could speak english and has been part of 13 different churches.  She would ask us interesting questions but, it always led back to her reading the Book of Mormon and praying to know if it was true.  As we were on the defensive side defending our beliefs she would just smile and think we were kinda crazy.  At one point though something came over me, I literally felt as if something or someone stepped into my body and I began shooting off many questions.  Within 3 questions we found out she has read the Book of Mormon, but she didn't read to ask.  There and then at that moment I had a testimony that we can try and teach all we want but its through the spirit we can only successfully teach.  We were able to commit here to read then part and we told her we would return and teach her.

That night I felt so tired I almost fell asleep on the Jeepney ride home, which is impossible.  Anyways thinking that that was an amazing experience, last night we got a text that a member needed a blessing of comfort.  We had two appointments, but told her we could try.  As we taught it was around 8pm but the 2nd appointment we couldn't find so we went over.  We found the member and talked to her asking why she wanted one.  Her dad is a nonmember and we have only taught him once, but last night he got drunk and then kept telling his kids he wanted to die.  It's been about 4 years since his wife has passed and last night he just became super depressed.  Now for years his daughter has been trying to find a way to get her father baptized and now she worries he never will here on earth.  So I gave her a blessing and again last night I felt the Spirit walk into my body and give this woman a blessing that helped her know what she needed to do.

Of course after both of these I was so excited and kept telling my companion this is amazing.  I realized something was different with us then my last companionship.  He told me that night that what he has done everyday and every lesson is pray for the spirit to help me.... I can testify of not only the power of prayer but I know that the spirit is the best teacher.  When we can master following the spirit that when we fully submit ourselves to the work and the glory of God.

I love you guys and miss you too!!  Take care and have a great week!!  Also I got pictures from my last baptism.  She is amazing and so strong in the gospel.  Well I got to go but take care this week!!!!  Also we keep hearing something about American Economy shutting down???  What Happened???  Well Love you All!  BYE!!! - Elder Sarmiento

No comments:

Post a Comment